Friday, January 18, 2013

My Blonde Adventures: Shampoo Review

Just over 3 months ago, I made the decision to start my journey from brunette to platinum blonde. I had been blonde for the summer last year, but my hair being significantly shorter, made it much easier to get to the colour I wanted.

This time however, was not quite as easy. A few months before I had done a hair show and although I didn't get left with any crazy colours, I did get left with layers of reddish brunette, which as most of you know, is TERRIBLE to try and get rid of. Not to mention the fact that my hair is longer than last time so trying to get an even blonde is pretty difficult.

While I've only had my hair done twice now (the initial application and one roots touchup), the colour, while still uneven, looks pretty good so far. After the first application, there were still a lot of yellow tones, and even some areas that looked orange. Inexperienced at being blonde I picked up John Frieda Sheer Blonde Toning Shampoo and conditioner from my local drugstore. The lack of toning strength in this shampoo combined with the relentless brassy tones in my hair made for zero results. I spent a good month and a half rocking the dreaded "trying too hard to be blonde" kind of blonde.

Shortly after my second hair lift, and still seeing no difference with my blonde shampoo, I picked up a bottle of Paul Mitchell Blonde Shampoo. I've used it 4 or 5 times now, and I've noticed a significant difference. I realize my hair was already much less brassy to start, but either way, my hair is on its way to that brass-free, ashy platinum blonde that I've been hoping for. While I'm still dealing with a few brassy patches (damn that red), this shampoo is definitely worth using, and highly recommended to any of you blonde bombshells if you're working on losing those warm tones.



Long story short: John Frieda=unimpressive, and Paul Mitchell=amazing!

All the love,

Skye
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment